By Fawaz A. Gerges
This ebook presents a accomplished account of the origins of yankee coverage on political Islam, chronicling the coverage debates on Islamism within the usa over the process time. the writer then delves deeper into the USA political scene to research the old, political, cultural, and safeguard matters that will aid clarify America's preoccupation with Islam and Muslims. The publication additionally addresses the conflict of civilizations debate and assesses the relative significance of tradition and values within the phrases and deeds folks officers on political Islam.
Read or Download America and Political Islam: Clash of Cultures or Clash of Interests? PDF
Best middle eastern books
One of many richest and such a lot profitable, but even as least favourite, traditions of Muslim literature is that of the Shi'i Imami Ismailis. even if many nice literary treasures of the Islamic global are already to be had in English translation, these of the Ismailis are just slowly being made available to students and readers at huge.
Through readings of novels by way of J. M. Coetzee, Timothy Mo and Salman Rushdie and the later poetry of W. B. Yeats, this publication unearths how postcolonial writing can motivate the enlarged experience of ethical and political accountability had to supplant ongoing kinds of imperial violence with cosmopolitan associations, relationships and methods of considering.
Silencing the ocean follows Palestinian poets' debates approximately their craft as they traverse a number of and competing realities of secularism and faith, expulsion and profession, paintings, politics, immortality, dying, popularity, and obscurity. Khaled Furani takes his reader down historic roads and throughout army checkpoints to affix the poets' worlds and have interaction with the rhythms in their lifelong trips in Islamic and Arabic heritage, language, and verse.
What are the perspectives, ideas and rules of the Islamic culture touching on refugee prestige? Are there any similarities among the Islamic culture on the subject of the legislation of aman (safe behavior) and the 1951 Geneva conference in relation to the prestige of refugees? during this ebook, Arafat Shoukri delves into fifteen centuries of Arab and Islamic background studying 1000s of historic assets to set up Islam’s place on refugees.
- The United States and Iran, 1946–51: The Diplomacy of Neglect
- ‘Anticipating’ the 2011 Arab Uprisings: Revolutionary Literatures and Political Geographies
- Middle East Oil Exporters: What Happened to Economic Development?
- From the President's Office: A Journey towards Reconciliation in a Divided Cyprus
- Arabic Literature to the End of the Umayyad Period (The Cambridge History of Arabic Literature)
- History of the Arabic Written Tradition. Volume 1
Extra info for America and Political Islam: Clash of Cultures or Clash of Interests?
7-8, 10. 3. Norman Daniel, Islam and the West: The Making of an Image (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960), p. 127. 4. Rodinson, Europe and the Mystique of Islam, chapter 1. "6 However, this portrait of unremitting Western-Muslim hostility is misleading. The pendulum of Western-Muslim relations has swung between rivalry/confrontation and collaboration/ accommodation. Although conflict arising from cultural, religious, and ideological factors has been the norm, realpolitik and interstate interests have also shaped the relationship between the two civilizations.
63. Martin Kramer, "Islam vs. Democracy," Commentary (January 1993), p. 39; Paris, "When To Worry in the Middle East," p. 558. 23. " See also Pipes, "Same Difference," p. 63, and in "Symposium: Resurgent Islam," p. 7; Kramer, "Islam vs. Democracy," p. 39. 24. Paris, "When to Worry in the Middle East," p. 558. 25. Ibid. p. 558. 26. Ibid. p. 559. 27 Confrontationalists argue further that Islamic extremism is bound to reach the shores of America through Muslim immigrants and visitors. S. 30 Pipes goes further by advocating not just containment of Islamists but also rollback and liberation.
Jochen Hippler claims that Western concern over nuclear proliferation in the region has less to do with actual military power than with control of the oil in the Persian Gulf. 47 Unlike confrontationalists, who consider political Islam as a radical Utopian ideology, accommodationists view Islamic resurgence as a product of socioeconomic and political woes; it is locally rooted. 48 46. Wright, "Islam, Democracy and the West," Foreign Affairs (Summer 1992), pp. 137-8. See also Yvonne Yazbeck Haddad, "The 'New Enemy'?